- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ cup hot water
- 2 cups salted cashews
- 1 Tb. Butter
- 1 tsp. baking soda
In a heavy 3-quart saucepan mix well sugar, corn syrup and water. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves; add cashews. Continue stirring over medium heat until syrup reaches 295 degrees (hard crack stage) on your candy thermometer. Remove from the heat; add butter and soda. Stir rapidly until butter melts and soda dissolves (mixture will foam). Holding the pan with an oven mitt or a towel, pour the mixture onto a previously greased baking sheet and spread out as much as you can. Add a pinch of sea salt over the top of the brittle. Brittle needs to cool and harden. Then break into pieces and enjoy.
- Before you begin grease your cookie or baking sheet with butter.
- Use exact amounts.
- A candy thermometer will achieve the best results.
- Continual stirring will keep the cashews from browning too much.
- If you are making more than one recipe run a sink full of super hot soapy water and as soon as you spread your brittle put your pan in along with your utensils and thermometer. It will be a much easier to clean-up.
- Altogether it takes no more than 15 minutes to complete this recipe.
Most important: This mixture is like burning lava and you do not want to burn yourself!