March 7th – Victoria Gertenback – “Scrap Bustin’ with Improv Housetop & Log Cabin Blocks”
Date: March 7, 2017
Time: 10 AM to 4 PM
Location: Goodwill Fire House, West Chester, PA
Workshop Fee: $28.00 – Sign ups will open in January, 2017
Workshop Limit: 20 students
Gather up your fabric strips, bits and leftover yardage for this fun scrap busting’ class. Learn how to create one of a kind blocks in a free form, fun and no stress way.
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
- Rotary cutter and cutting mat
- Marking pens or pencils for fabric
- Acrylic straight edge for squaring up finished pieces
- Sharp fabric scissors
- Fabric pins
Design wall (you can use foam core with batting taped on)
- Optional Fabric cutting weights. Very helpful in the process of joining blocks together that have wavy, uneven edge, (which will happen when improv piecing and will look great when done correctly!)
- Students will need enough fabric scraps and leftover yardage to stay fully engaged in sewing for the duration of the class. I recommend a shopping bag/scrap bag full of fabric scraps that can be pulled from, along with leftover yardage that can also used. (I find it helpful to organize my scraps by size and shape into zip lock bags.)
- Remember, the more fabric on hand, and the more varied it is in values and colors, the more options one will be able to choose from and the more one can explore!
- Note: Long strips of fabric scraps are utilized the most in this technique. However, small bits of fabric add pops of surprise and interest and triangle scraps can be joined together,while small squares and rectangles make for a great starting point… so bring it all!